Last Friday, I mentioned I was going to work on goals. I decided that it might be best for me to revisit a post I had made two years ago when I made this blog for my Marketing for Artists class. It was really interesting to me, mostly because there was a section about two years from the point I wrote the post. And now, it's been two years later...
-Short Term Goals (Now-2014 [2 yrs]) 1. Be selected to have work in 3 or more juried art shows. 2. Internship (preferably in San Diego). 3. Move in with two of my classmates who are also Fibers Majors. 4. Graduate in May of 2013. 5. Overcome my fear of what my parents think (regarding what I want to do and where I want to live). 6. Move to San Diego. 7. Work at a yarn/fiber store.
Now, it's kind of amazing to me that I have done about 5 out of those 7 things, and am still working on the other two. The ones I completed are as follows:
1. I sort of lost interest in showing my work after I graduated, but I almost made my goal of 3. During my undergrad, I was in 2 juried shows!
2. I did my internship in San Diego during the summer of 2012.
3. I moved in with one of the two Fibers classmates, and I've been living with him for almost 2 years!
4. Yes, I graduated.
7. Besides my internship, I got a job at another yarn shop for a short period of time.
So, what am I still working on? 5 and 6. I'm still working on getting over my fear of what my parents think regarding my life choices. Friday after my meeting, I went to their house, and I just started crying because I was scared that they wouldn't support my decision to move. In reality, they just didn't know how serious I was about moving to San Diego. I think they'd support me no matter what, they're just worried about if I'll be able to find a job to afford living out there. And of course, I'm working to get to San Diego.
So, I'm now going to make a list of current goals, but in shorter intervals, and then longer ones.
-In the next 3 months (Now-June)
- Begin packing (April)
- Extend lease to end of June (April)
- Locate storage space (June)
- Take the family cruise to Alaska and RELAX (May)
- Move back to my parents' house (June)
- Continue working on felted animals and knitting projects
-In the next 6 months (Now-September)
- Continue working temp/contract jobs
- Continue searching for job in San Diego
- Search for housing in San Diego
- Take a trip to San Diego to physically be there while I search (July or August?)
So I guess those are my goals with a smaller time frame. If I can't move by October, I at least want to be out by the end of the year. The other thing is, I don't want to be living at my parents' for forever. I'm so used to living on my own with friends and having that freedom. Also, the boyfriend has been talking about moving in together, so we'll see where he is in September with his own job hunt. After October, it gets kind of fuzzy in my head. I can't quite see that far...but let's try.
-In the next 2 years (Now-2016)
- Living and working in San Diego
- Continue with felted animals and begin selling them
- Teach knitting classes
- Design knitting patterns to sell
- Go to the beach at least once a week (Sunday mornings?)
- Visit home 4-5 times a year (especially for Easter and Christmas)
- Travel (because the boyfriend probably wouldn't let me get away with not traveling, but also because I'd like to see a little more of the world)
So, that's where I am with all of that at this point. I feel so much better now that I've written all of that down. Hopefully it wasn't too boring. And I know I have time. I just have to put my mind to it. And, even better, I know that the sky is the limit when I put my mind to it.