Living My Dream Goal: Internship in San Diego

This is my summer.  As of Saturday, May 19, I have moved to San Diego for three months!  I am interning at a shop called The Grove where I am working with one of the co-owners, S,  in the yarn and fiber department, assisting customers and overall learning how a yarn store (with other vendors) runs. I apologize ahead of time for the nature of this post.  I just want to catch you up a bit on what I've been doing so far!

Tuesday, May 22, I worked my first day.  Though I was very tired at the end of it, it was a blast.  I got to know the yarns, made an alphabetical list of all of them, did an inventory of the needles on hand, and even ordered new needles over the phone! I am certainly learning a lot in a short period of time.  I started a sample for a future class being held in June called the Baby Chalice Blanket.

The next day, Wednesday, I learned how to do receiving for products and print labels.  I also made labels for the yarn shelves, making them more uniform looking.

I didn't have to go back in until Saturday when the other co-owner, A, was working.  I basically just straightened up the yarn shelves, did some receiving, and sat and knit all day long.  I got to help out a couple of customers and one even sat and knitted with me for the last hour I was working!

Wednesday, May 30, there was a class in the evening which I was going to sit in on.  It was for a lace scarf or shawl pattern called Claire.  I helped to wind yarn from skeins to balls and got to start the project myself.  It's a super easy repeat to remember.  I asked if I could pay for the yarn I was using and S said that she wanted me to have it because I'm doing so much for her.  I guess I'm being paid in yarn!

Thursday, May 31, I got to learn how to use the register!  That made things a lot easier on both S and I because then if I was working on the computer, I wouldn't have to stop what I was doing to find her so she could check out customers.  I'm still a little awkward with it, considering I've never had any previous retail experience.

Friday, June 1, I was sick.  Honestly, it sounded worse than it felt, so I went ahead and went to work.  I did some receiving and made some signs for the store.  I got to meet the vendor who takes care of the fabrics and helped her with little things she needed done.  By the end of the day, I was not feeling good, but I made it through the workday.

Saturday, June 2, I manned the desk while S worked with a customer who wanted to learn more knitting techniques.  It was funny because my voice was messed up from being sick, but at least I felt a LOT better.  Business was pretty busy in the morning due to the Burlingame Home Tour.  Burlingame is a historic neighborhood in South Park.

Sunday, June 3, was  a shorter and more quiet day.  I think due to that, I don't remember much of anything interesting or exciting that happened.

The Grove is closed on Mondays.

Tuesday, June 5, I worked at the desk and helped a customer find her next knitting project.  S also left me alone with the store for about 40 minutes so that she could go home to eat lunch.  She was so excited to get to do that.

Wednesday, June 6, was pretty slow, but S and I started working on a physical inventory.  She is so happy to have me around helping out.  And of course, I'm more than happy to be there because I get to work with the yarns and knit at the end of each day.

This summer, I plan to keep my blog updated on happenings at the Grove, things I learn, and projects I accomplish while in San Diego.